2012 Reporting Services
Course 55119: 3 Days; Instructor-led
This three-day instructor-led is
intended for information workers and database professionals who are interested in
expanding their knowledge about SQL Server 2012 Reporting Services. During this
course, attendees will learn how to Report Designer in SSDT and Report Builder,
work with solutions and projects, design basic reports, enhance reports with
formatting and images, effectively group and summarize data, work with
parameterized reports, incorporate charts and custom maps, and work with
drill-through reports, and manage reports.
This course is intended for
information workers and database professionals who have a general familiarity
with databases prior to the class. Working knowledge of Microsoft SQL Server or
Microsoft Office applications is beneficial.
· Work with solutions and projects.
· Design basic reports.
· Work with table, matrix, and list report items.
· Enhance reports with formatting and images.
· Effectively group and summarize data.
· Work with parameterized reports.
· Incorporate charts and custom maps.
· Work with drill-through reports.
· Manage reports.
· Utilize Report Builder.
A general familiarity with
databases prior to the class.
· Additionally, working knowledge of Microsoft SQL Server
or Microsoft Office applications is beneficial.
Module 1: SSRS Overview and Tools
This module provides an introduction to the topics
covered in the class, introduces Reporting Services features, the tools
available with SQL Server 2012, and introduces students to SQL Server
Reporting Services Features
Tools Available with SQL Server
SQL Server Documentation
· Understand Reporting Services Features.
· Identify the SQL Server 2012 Tools.
· Find and Use SQL Server Documentation.
Working with Solutions and Projects
covers working with solutions and projects within Visual Studio.
Working with SQL Server Data
Understanding Solutions and
Working with the Visual Studio
Lab : Working with Solutions and Projects (Optional)
· Work with SQL Server Data Tools.
· Understand solutions and projects.
· Work with the Visual Studio interface.
Creating Basic Reports
This module covers building reports from start to
finish, and tips and tricks for successful report building.
What is a Data Source?
What is a Dataset?
Using the Report Wizard
What is Tablix?
Creating a Tabular Report
Creating a List Report
What is a Matrix?
Deploying a Project
Lab : Creating Basic Reports
· Understand the differences between shared and
embedded data sources and datasets.
· Create shared and embedded data sources and
· Use the Report Wizard to build basic reports.
· Create a basic matrix report from a shared
Module 4: Formatting Reports
covers the features which enhance the visual impact of reports.
Working with Text Boxes
Rich Text Formatting
Managing Text Boxes
Drawing Lines and Boxes
Page Headers and Footers
Adding a Document Map
Lab : Formatting Reports
· Format data to enhance a report.
· Add images to a report.
· Work with page headers and footers.
Module 5: Custom Expressions
covers expressions and how to use them to set dynamically changing properties
Working with Report Variables
Understanding Lookup, LookupSet, and Multilookup
Lab : Custom Expressions
· Use expressions to work with custom formulas.
· Use expressions to change the way data is
displayed in report.
· Use expressions to incorporate data from more than
Summarizing and Sorting
Reporting Services (SSRS) offers grouping features to allow you to summarize
data and then drill down into the details below the summary levels. This module
will explain how to create and manage these groupings.
Parent/Child vs. Adjacent
Adding Totals and Aggregations
Creating Aggregates of
Lab : Summarizing and Sorting
· Add both row and column parent groups to an
· Aggregate data for summary reports.
· Create reports using adjacent groups in a matrix.
· Work with group properties.
Module 7: Add
Flexibility with Parameters
Paramaterized reports allow users to customize reports to show
only the data they are interested in. This module covers the use of parameters
§ Adding Parameters to a Report
Report Parameters vs. Query
Manage Report Parameter
Use Parameters with SQL Queries
and Stored Procedures
Work with Cascading Parameters
Sort Based on a Parameter
Lab : Add Flexibility with Parameters
· Customize report data with both query and report
· Use parameters to define interactive sort and
· Add filters to a dataset.
Module 8: Enhanced
This module explores the different ways data can be
enhanced visually in a report.
Add a Map to a Report
Data Bar, Indicator, and
Sparkline Report Items
Nesting Data Regions
Sub-reports and Drill-through
Working with Drill-through
Lab : Enhanced Report Items
· Use lessons up to this point to create a complete
· Choose between data visualization options.
· Add data visualization items to an existing
· Add a drill-through report send parameters to the
Using Report Manager
provides details on how to run and manage reports using Report Manager.
Navigating Report Manager
Working with Shared Data
Lab : Using Report Manager
· Create and deploy a project by using SSDT.
· Work with Report Manager to view and manage
· Create a linked report.
· Add report snapshots by using Report Manager.
Module 10: Using
Report Builder for SQL Server 2012
covers the use of Report Builder to apply lessons learned in previous modules.
ClickOnce vs. Stand-alone
Installing the Stand-alone
Using the Report Builder Tool
Creating Reports Using Wizards
Creating Reports Without a
OPening Existing Reports
Working with Report Parts
Lab : Using Report Builder for SQL Server 2012
· Implement basic features from previous modules in
· Add data visualization items to a report using